What is Self-Advocacy?
We are self-advocates with intellectual/developmental disabilities (I/DD) in Jefferson, Clear Creek & Gilpin Counties. What makes us self-advocates:
- We stand up for ourselves and for others.
- We express our wants and needs.
- First and foremost, we are people, and our intellectual or developmental disability is only part of who we are.
- We would like to help our community understand more about with people with I/DD.
- We also would like to learn more about others in our community.
As self-advocates, we also:
- Pursue our dreams,
- Want to live fulfilling lives,
- Seek rewarding relationships,
- And want to be valued members of the community, just like anyone else.