OUTREACH ADVISORY COUNCIL
The Arc’s Outreach Advisory Council was created in 2017 with the purpose of providing advice and guidance that will help our outreach team develop activities and events that are inclusive, relevant, and beneficial to the people we serve and to our community as a whole. The activities and events are driven by The Arc’s strategic plan, which was created by staff and board. The Outreach Advisory Council’s ongoing participation has been very important to our outreach efforts, and has assisted us as we carry out our strategic plan.
Currently, the Council is comprised of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities who help shape various outreach activities. For example, this enthusiastic and dedicated group of people was instrumental in creating a strong, statewide theme for Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month in March of 2018.
Council meetings are currently held at The Arc’s office on the first Monday of each month from 4:45 – 5:45.
In the spirit of true inclusion, the Council has decided to invite people of all abilities to join the group in order to gain a wider array of perspectives to inform outreach activities and events. If you are someone with or without a disability, who is interested in learning more about the Council, or pursuing membership on the Council, contact Brent Belisle at email@example.com or (303) 232-1338.
Ideal Qualities of Council Members:
- Passion for the Council’s purpose—wanting to contribute to the success of The Arc’s outreach activities
- Ability to attend meetings on the 1st Monday of each month from 4:45 – 5:45. In-person attendance at The Arc’s office is desired, with the option for occasional attendance by phone
- Capability to consider the larger group of people in our area—“what would benefit self-advocates as a whole?” instead of “what do I want?”
- Skills for listening and communicating respectfully (not interrupting, take turns speaking, etc)
- Ability to express your honest opinions in front of a group
- Ability to work on a team
- Respect for the Core Values of The Arc (https://www.arcjc.org/whoweare/what-we-believe.html)
Council Members’ Advice and Guidance Help With:
- Empowerment & Learning (LifeAbility Talks, Empowerment Activities)
- Self-advocacy awareness (presentations to community groups)
- Disability-related campaigns (including DD Awareness Month in March)
- Service on committees related to Arc events
- Participation on committees within the community